Probate Administration

When someone passes away, it is always a very difficult time for family and loved ones. It can also be a very stressful time between planning a funeral and trying to settle the estate of the decedent. Our office assists clients that must deal with unexpected deaths or loved ones who failed to plan properly and left financial chaos behind. Even people who keep good records can leave challenges and difficulties for their survivors. Our clients often come to us with questions about what they must do when someone dies? How do I go about settling and administering their estate? If you had a loved one that recently passed away, Stewart and Bruss, P.C. can help you with the administration of the estate, whether they died with or without any Estate Planning documents.

Usually, one person is appointed to serve in settling an estate. If your loved one had a will it should specify who is to serve as the executor or personal representative. The person named must be first appointed by the probate court, and then is responsible for making sure creditors are paid, assets are distributed and estate tax returns are filed. If you have been appointed as either the personal representative of an estate, and you need assistance to ensure that you are fulfilling your legal and fiduciary duties, contact Stewart and Bruss, P.C. If your parent died without a will or trust, Michigan Laws will indicate who’s in charge: usually a surviving spouse, if there is one, or an adult child or parent. A court hearing may be held to appoint someone, and there could be a battle if more than one person wants the role. If your parent or someone you know dies without a Will, Stewart and Bruss, P.C. can help you with the administration process.